.
In the previous post, I said that I could only remember three events in my first four years in this World.
All traumatic events, which is why I suppose I can still remember them.
The first, as I said, was getting my head stuck
between the bars of my cot.
The other two were related to the War that was
being waged across the World from 1939-1945,
as little oblivious me, played on with whatever was to hand.
In those days - not much.
Birmingham, being a manufacturing centre, was, like Coventry,
a prime target for enemy aircraft.
.
.
This is a house not far away, in Handsworth,
that had just escaped a direct hit.
You can see how life went on regardless,
as boys played in the street and ladies continued
to hang out their washing in their back yards.
Event number two that I remember,
was a huge blaze at a factory down in Stirchley.
My Mother held me up at her back bedroom window
to look out across the allotments to where the sky was all lit up red.
I was later told that it was at a paint factory,
but after much searching old records on the web,
I have not been able to find a date.
A bomb did drop just beyond Kings Norton railway station,
but nothing round the houses near us.
On the web someone recalled a German plane that flew low over Cotteridge School looking for the Triplex glass factory, and how they bombed Grant’s Wood Yard one night which lit up the Watford Road, like it was daylight.
But no records of a fire at the paint factory.
There was a hit here in Bournville though.
Bournville Lane on its way to Stirchley dives down in a tunnel
under the railway and canal which run side-by-side.
Blow this up and the canal runs dry!
.
.
Another person recalled -
"My father lived in Stirchley as a young boy during the war years. He told me of the bomb that hit the bridge on Bournville Lane. Apparently the target was the railway because of its vital transport link for the war effort but the bomb hit the canal instead and the result was a flooded Bournville Lane and surrounding area. If you go into the tunnel you can see the large 'patch' that was put in to seal it."
We all survived though. We had a shelter like the one shown below.
It was right down the bottom of the garden on the right hand side.
I never remember using it. Mom said we went under the stairs,
when the sirens went off.
.
.
To keep us company under there, we shared the space with a cupboard.
A cupboard that was stacked with these blue paper bags containing sugar!
Shops weighed out sugar for you in those days.
As it was rationed it was usually stored, for when the jam season started,
or if you were lucky and got a few oranges in February,
you could make Marmalade.
.
.
October 1942 - No Marmalade to buy.
Had to be home made.
(or bought, like this jar, last week in Sainsburys)
In the garden Pop grew Gooseberries, Raspberries and Marrows.
The latter were grown all over the air-raid shelter,
and Nan made Marrow & Ginger jam.
It was all stored in a cupboard in Mom's bedroom.
The cupboard didn't have a door,
but a curtain which was drawn across the front
to hide the shelves of home-made jam.
Things must have carried on as near as normal I suppose.
I have loads of photos of little me taken
up in town in one of the big Departmental stores.
They were called Polyfoto's.
.
.
I was plonked down, given a toy to stop me crying
and thirty or forty teeny-weeny pictures taken.
Mom would have gone back a week later to
collect the results as shown above.
They were numbered on the back and you chose
the ones that you wanted to be enlarged.
I tried to enlarge one myself.
.
.
Me and my Golliwog.
But Mom had a different idea and chose this one.
.
.
"Pull you socks up Boy!"
Dad was away nearly all of the time at Market Drayton,
although he obviously got some leave.
And then.....
Off down Valley Pool again, this time without the pram.
.
.
I loved water.
and girls in water!
.
.
No relations.
Just a couple of 'birds' I picked up in the park.
Now we come to the third thing that upset me.
It shouldn't really have upset me, because everybody else
was celebrating and enjoying themselves.
It was probably on May 9th., the day after VE day.
Someone, probably Dad carried me up
the road to a bonfire party where they had fireworks.
I remember being frightened.
I have never liked fireworks to this day.
.
.
This little fellow didn't enjoy things either.
But there were parties in the streets.
Jelly! Loads of jelly,
and a thing called blancmange,
usually chocolate brown in the shape of a rabbit,
with currant eyes and sitting in a plate of grass-green jelly!
.
.
That is not me in the picture, although I
would have been about the same size
as those in the front row.
All over now.
.
.
Well done Dad!
.
.
Glad you're safely back.
.







10 comments:
Lovely pictures and so many memories.
I, too, have been looking for information about the paint factory but cannot find anything related to it I'm afraid.
What a shame.
I'm very glad your dad was one of the ones who came home.
I used to love jelly too. I remmeber blancmange being in pastel colours. I don't remember brown. Would it have been chocolate flavour?
You seemed to have lots of fun in thos eyears, despite there being a war on.
Hi Annette. Thanks for popping over, and also thanks for checking out the factory fire.
It was only what I was told so perhaps someone, (probably me) got it wrong.
Hello Foody. You are right about blancmange. It was usually pink or white, but Mom nearly always made us a chocolate version. I still have the old (glass) rabbit jelly-mould in my pantry. And other unusual bits from those 1940's.
You write such good stories, Bernard, and are always inundated with comments/thoughts - I don't know how you find the time to reply. And ... I'll tell you why all the ladies liked you ... 'cause you're a charmer. Xx
A charmer? How kind of you to say so. :)
Not any more - too old for all of that. :)
I do always try to reply though,as it's a bit like a 'conversation' isn't?
Cheers...B
Lovely photograpahs Bernard.
I make my own marmalade. :-)
Oh and lemon curd.
I haven't made strawberry jam in a few years so that is on the 'to do 'list
I hope we have plenty of brambles this year as i haven't made bramble jelly in a while now,
Ludo and I look forward to your next post, Bernard. You've been a long time so that must mean it'll be a good one. (Ooops, committed my own crime there - humanizing an animal).
Hope you are alright.
Ann, and Foody. I am sorry to be a bit late but I don't always remember these other two blogs. Ahhhhh! Lemon curd! Now I do remember that - and I used to love it - AND spread it on (too)thick. I haven't tasted it for years mind; I've grown out of 'bread and jam' I'm afraid. Now I'm more of a 'Beer & pork scratchings' man, or maybe a more refined 'cheese & red wine' person.
All is fine here, but I am so busy doing other things that these blogs have to take second place.
Cheers....B
Ahhh... whatever it was has gone. I can see this blog again.
Cheers.
Foody
Post a Comment