.
Perhaps it would be more truthful if I started with:-
“I remember, I remember, the house where my Mother and I,
and Grand-parents lived, when I was nine days old.”.
(Dad was away in the RAF.)
It doesn’t quite have the same poetic appeal as the original, does it?
But it is at least true.
.

.
"Mom and Dad, Linden Road.
I can remember nearly everything about “Nan’s in Linden Road.”
But perhaps not back to nine days old!
That was my bedroom, with the open window.
However, I will not start at Day 9,
but write a little explanation and introduction first.
.
.
When I was born, there were three generations before me, still living. This four generation ‘window’ would seem to be a fairly common thing in families, although I have to admit I am not yet a Great, Great Uncle!
I am now, however, the eldest in my generation; that is looking horizontally across our family tree.
The second eldest in that line, is my brother Adrian who is six years younger.
(After-thought: I do have a cousin, Susan, whose age I cannot remember, but she may actually come second?)
It therefore falls on me to recall and document what I can remember about those early years, just in case the next three generations after me, are interested. (You never know).
I have no children, so this information cannot be passed on by ‘word of mouth’, although in theory, I could tell my nephews and nieces, but….firstly, I cannot imagine that they would want to sit and listen (and remember it), and secondly, it is far easier for me to write bits as I remember them and to jot down a few notes here and there.
There is also the opportunity to search out some relevant old black and white photographs to accompany the narrative.
This, then, is essentially a family thingie, but all are welcome to read and comment if you wish.
I can’t, of course, guarantee that you will find things of interest.
I am in no way, a serious or proper writer. I studied science and technology, and, as an engineer, had to write up technical reports etc. I have never wanted to be a writer and so if this falls short in the areas of grammar and punctuation, I am sorry, I have done my best.
If I remember correctly, it took me three go's to get a pass at O-level English, and if you have read this far, you can probably see why!
.
.
Welcome.
.
2 comments:
I came across your blog when wondering what to do with my wife's wedding dress. She died 5 years ago. Her mother lived with her parents in Acacia Road all her life, married her husband (from Newcastle) just after the war, and they continued living in Acacia Road. They were married in St Francis Church (probably 1946) in a dress that was made from parachute silk because of wartime economies. When I met my wife (in Leeds 1977)her parents were still living there and we got married in 1980 in the same church and had our reception in Dame Elizabeth Hall, she wearing the same dress. I didn't just want to give it to a charity because I felt it was bound up with the history of Bournille. I have photographs to go with it. Both her parents are now also deceased though there is a son and a step sister still living (Woodbrooke Road).
My email is johnnied10@tiscali.co.uk if this is of interest.
Hello John,
I'm sorry I missed your comment here, but my machine has been out of action for a few days and I am very slow at getting things up and running again.
I am in a bit of a rush at the moment but will contact you by email when I get a minute.
Cheers Bernard
Post a Comment