.
Both my parents, in those early days, worked for Cadburys.
.

.
Cadburys - From Bournville Lane.
Before I was born, my mother worked, I believe in the export office and my father,
after a spell with George Masons, the grocery chain,
went to work at Cadburys and was simply classified as a ’Confectioner’.
I have no other information on what he actually did in his first years there,
other than this rather broad description.
So, basically, he made chocolates!
They didn’t actually meet each other from being at the same place of work,
although Cadburys were well known for providing excellent social facilities
(clubs and dances etc).
My father told me that he was a good friend of Stan,
my mother’s younger, and only brother,
and that he spent many hours ‘round at his mates house‘, in Linden Road.
.

.
Dad, Nan and Stan dressed up for something?
Dad then lived a couple of hundred yards away, just round the corner in Maryvale Road. His father, (my grandfather) was a chemist and had a shop in Stirchley, but I will leave that story for another day.
So, my Dad got to know my mother, simply from calling in at Linden Road, probably before going off to the jazz club. Mom would not have gone with them, as she played the violin (and cello) and she told me herself, that “all this jazz was not her cup of tea.” She would not of course, of heard of Stephane Grappelli.
So these two young fellows were the best of pals, and judging by these next pictures, (taken either by my gran, or more likely, my mother) were obviously, good for a ‘bit of larking about’.
.

.
A pair of 'posers'!
.

.
Dad on the left, Stan on the right.
The story told to me by my dad was that:-
He and mom were sitting on the sofa listening to their gramophone,
when there was a huge flash of lightning, and my mom, being terrified of thunder storms, cuddled up close to dad!
The rest is history!
Enough! Enough, I hear.
OK, I’ll save a couple of the ‘ubiquitous’ Wedding photos for another day.
.
11 comments:
I was getting a little worried as you haven't blogged on your other one for some time.
But then I came across this one, it's lovely, I love hearing about other people lives,hope I'm not being too nosey!
Hi Annette,
Thanks, I'm glad you find it interesting.
There seems to be something wrong with this comment box though. It must be blogger. :(
oh wow, wow, wow!! This is great, a whole blog dedicated to my favourite parts of the organ grinder, although that is fab too! Thanks you I love the photos and reading about the family x x x x x x Amy
Interesting. How you prepared this or are you doing it as you go along. You are much better technically than me. The setting out is very good.
Wow! Amy. What a lot of excitement!
Now don't expect too much. It all takes a lot of time. I will do bits as, and when I can. :)
I'm sorting out loads of photos and thought it might be a nice idea to add a few words to go with them.
Hi Ken, It's not difficult to set these up, you know.
Blogger does the layout for you.
Glad you like it. :)
I just wish my grammar and punctuation was better. I should have paid attention to my English teacher! :o
Really interesting blog - I'm going to link to this on my own blog. Are you happy for me to use one of your images? Do you have a larger digital version of the Cadbury's factory photo?
Keep up the good work!
simon.harper@podnosh.com
Hello Simon, Thanks for that.
Of course, I've only just made a start here.
Help yourself to images, including the old factory. It is only a postcard and I don't have anything larger. I can't find your blog.
Cheers.....Bernard
I love your photos, and the memories they unfold.
http://ficklecattle.blogspot.com/
Testing cos I can't seem to leave comments on Monkey Organ
It knew me as Foody automatically!
AAAAArgh! I have got all confused. I thought I had forgotten to join this blog, so I came and joined up as Foody. I appear to have no face. I expected my Ciao Chicken picture to coome up. Then I came here to leave a comment and found I am here but as my old closed blog. I need to get the old me off and the new me on. How do I do that?
Go to my old blog and 'unfollow'. Trouble is, I can't remember the password for Singing Chicken. I requested a reminder but it didn't arrive. I will now go to Ciao Chicken and try to join with a picture.
You can delete this load of rubbish if you like!
Post a Comment